Sunday, December 20, 2009

A mahoo, a mohawk, and a free tamale

So sorry, no pictures today, just a few words, and thoughts...

Today (rather Sunday) was a good day. I mean visually...I should have had a camera. Just a small one, you know, one of those new Panasonics, or Canon...just something to pop in the pocket without thinking about it. Maybe I should get an iPhone, or maybe just a new iPod. Just to snap away.

So today's visual diary starts like this...

We had to shop a bit for a small Christmas Party Yukako is having on Tuesday. You know, a few of her work friends, some gossip, a bit of wine, and the doting husband to wash all the dishes. We sadly now have a membership to Costco (hell and a push cart to go with it) so we went to waist our money on a few bulky items. As we are there, shoppers were going mad, I mean crazy, over the free samples of whatnot this and that. People lined up stepping over each other to get a free sample of something they'd never buy or think of buying.

One of the funniest things was to see the madness over the strange tasting frozen tamales*

A camera would have been great...just something to see how mad people can get when they perceive to get something free. I tasted one...it was terrible. Rueben's in San Antonio...thats all you need. I remember my father saying people lined up for hours to get a few dozen for New Years. Actually a store here in Honolulu run by a Chilanga makes ever second Saturday tamales. They are not Texas style but more of that real Mexican taste..expensive but good.

To you guys who go to Costco to get free stuff...there are no words to describe what an absolute moron you are. Too bad I didn't have a a camera to capture you.

Speaking of tamales, President Ford, in a visit to San Antonio, tried a tamale, and sadly, the gringo didn't peel it and tried to eat the corn husk. Its like eating the box the burger came in. It was funny...I don't remember it but it seems funny now.

Hell...I even found an image on the internet.



so I lied about images...so what.

On the way back from Costco, we stopped at Ross and again, madness...shoppers and kids and more shoppers packed trying to buy whatever they could get there hands on. Poor people's kids were running in and around the clothing racks, up the escalators, etc...with no supervision. The parents could have cared less. Madness. Maybe they weren't poor but that seems to be the only people who were stuffed at Ross's Dress for Less or whatever you call it. I can assume that only means we are poor as well. I'll change my statement, the store was filled with ill raised children. Merchandise was strewn across the floor everywhere. Maybe it was the parents. I couldn't stand it. I had to leave. But before I did...a small boy, probably about 5 or so was on the floor near the hats, toys, whatever section I don't recall, and he was strumming away on a toy ukelele. And funny, he was pretty good. Even funnier, he had a full on mohawk. Here is this kid, dressed in decent clothing, a bit dirty from play though, sitting facing the ukulele and strumming and singing away...truly a Kodak moment.

Finally after leaving the madness of the shopping world, we made it back home but had to pass down the backside of our building when walking like a supermodel comes strutting one kine mahoo**. Ladies, he wasn't afraid to work that stuffed tube top, nor the stuffed biker shorts that was filled with all the fat and giggle you could fit in. He wasn't all that bad looking if you were desperate for a date, but you could spot that guy a mile away. Maybe it was the tube top and high heals. Again, no camera, no ability to snap a pix.

Alas, I need a small cheap digicam. I haven't wanted to buy one cause they never take the perfect photos I want. I feel like they lack so much...yet I lack so much when I can't take that perfect moment photo.

So if you are listening or reading Santa, Mom, or Yukako, stuff that present under the tree...and make sure it at least has 12 megapixels!

...no wait, we not gots a tree. Damn!

*for you gringos, a tamale is a corn dough stuffed with a spiced meat stuffed in a corn husk.

**a mahoo is the Hawaiian word for a cross dresser.

No comments: