Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009, a wrap up...

I survived! We survived. We did it and we did it with a mortgage.

I made as a photographer during the 2009 recession!

Things were tough mentally as a bit of income slipped away as certain clients stopped calling and the publishing industry had to readjust its self.

There were some tough moments...waking up in the morning to an empty email inbox and not hearing the phone ring for weeks at a time. But photographer Alex Brandon laid some of the best wisdom I will hear for a long time coming...

"Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield."


Thank you Alex...life can't be said any better.

Alas, our community lost some staff jobs and some good people this year and even last.

Goodbye Burly and Joaquin. Goodbye Ronen and aloha Lucy. Yet, we had to say hello Tanner several others looking to make a mark in the small money photo world of Hawaii. But we actually are doing much better than much of the photo market around the country. The Washington Times canned their entire photo staff and many staff members. The Advertiser and Star Bulletin had a round of lay offs. Everyone is feeling the pinch. Feels like photo is not the business to be in these days...but people keep snapping away making life much more interesting.

Irregardless...lets take a quick look back at 2009 from my eyes....

(funny, the years slip by but to go back and look at what I shot, its tough...just way too many images! I'll give it a shot!)



This year I had a pretty tough moment as my father had a heart attack which forced him to go under the knife for a quad bypass. Inside I felt he wasn't going to kick the bucket but it was tough to think it might be time to say goodbye.



I went down to Texas for a vacation to visit Mom and Dad and spent some time getting to know them, myself, and us a little better. Its best not to forget that time does slip by and its tough to get back to San Antonio being Hawaii is so far away.


---------------------------------



In San Antonio for that vacation, I had time to go through the old pictures and got to know a bit more about my history and family. Got to see family new and old and was taken back by a photo of my Mom's Dad...as it was taken at a bar. Go figure I'd pick up that trait...

----------------------------------

I got a non related nephew this year from Diane and Doug. Aloha Danny!



Got to shoot a very cute girl in her bikini...



Got to hang out with Gloria...



Busted my eye...



Got to see and old friend...



Got to see one sweat...



Saw a few things on the beach...



Another girl in a bikini...



Conjunto and my peoples...




and finally, Terminal 2 Narita...



There is so much to mention but there is not enough time. Its party time...New Years is around the corner for Hawaii that is...and its time to welcome something new.

1 comment:

Ros said...

You had a full year, even through the recession when you look back at all that happened then. I'm glad you survived the economy, even if things were tougher than normal, and I hope you dad is doing well now.