Thursday, December 11, 2008

New York Times

CLICK HERE FOR THE STORY!

I got a chance to shoot portraits of female surfers on the North Shore for the New York Times. I can't post the story here other than list the link. I have been doing stories for the NYT for a bit now and they've all worked out well. This story was a bit tough because I had to work around a videographer and keep in mind all the stuff that goes on with multimedia.

The video time really shortened the time I had to shoot the surfers. The story was about the changing of the guard with the "older" surfer chic being replaced by the younger babes in the waves. I had to shoot Layne, a 36 year old surfer babe, who the 7 times world champ and I also had to shoot the up and comer Carrisa Moore, a 16 year old HS girl, who is making waves on the waves.

Nice job...reallyl quick, and I had to really had to rely on past knowledge, my sense and instinct to knock out a few good shots. I look at the shots and recall all the stuff I did as an assistant...running up and down with some photographer and a model jumping up and down. So much to remember and so much to define who I am.

The pictures, although not my favorite, really show my growth as a photographer. Its nice to see how I am constantly learning how to be me.

No comments: