Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Disgusting!



I'm not a big on Spam. I mean I've eaten the spam musubi bit a few times and well, its ok. Its not my favorite but most cooked foods from 7/11 are not necessarily my favorite either...but its local food, whatada wanna do 'bout it. Eat and no complain.


Spam musubi...a slice of fried spam on a rectangle of rice wrapped in dried seaweed.

Today was where I drew the line. Like I said, Spam is one of those things we've had a few time but not much. Its processed and to me it taste faintly of dog food. I mean it actually smells like canned dog food to me. I don't know if I have tried dog food and I probably have knowning how nutty I was back in college and whatnot...well...I actually remember eating cat food once with Laura Ehrisman. I don't know why I did...I was at her house and one thing lead to another and we were eating, I should say, I was eating dried cat food. I don't recall it being that bad but, like I said, it was college, no wait, that was high school. EITHER WAY...it reminds me of cat food, errr...DOG food.

Spam spread in the Pacific during WWII as fresh meats were hard to come by. The military fed their soldiers Spam and the local communities adapted into their diets. Hawaii consumes the most Spam in the world.

But like I said, I found something very unique at the grocery store. SPAM flavored Macadamia nuts. Bleach...cough cough arf...blaahh...I gots to try it.

Got a can, popped it open. I found large macadamia nuts with a reddish power on them. They smelled like mac nuts and barely of Spam. To be quiet honest, they were not that bad. They tasted mostly of mac nuts and thats that. Very little Spam flavoring until the very end. And thats where it got me.

As of this writing, I had to go and rinse my mouth out, twice! The after taste was pretty nasty but its a slow kick a few minutes later. I am fairly disgusted some knucklehead came up with this flavor but loads of locals love it. Not me, I'll stick to the cat food.

No comments: