Thursday, February 18, 2010

2010 McNugget update

If you've been following my posts about my McDonald's Chicken McNugget found behind my TV back in May 09, you'll know I've been perplexed by my petrified (petrofried) pabulum.*



You can see my original post here.

I took the now cut in half McNugget and examined it close to a year later. At first touch, it still is slightly oily and obviously hard. The original batter still seems crispy but more of a hard crunch rather than a crisp. A faint smell of oil emits from the middle and the so called chicken still seems flaky and processed. No obvious signs of rot or mold exist at all. I am storing the McNugget in a small zip lock bag on my desk. Its not completely air tight in the sense that its not being preserved perfectly. I am hoping it will develop mold so as to convince myself its real food.

I guess McDonald's preservatives are fairly strong but I am not a nutritionist nor a lab scientist so I can't comment on how or why mold won't form nor whether the preservatives McDonald's uses are that bad. Anyone have any ideas? I am perplexed by this.

More so, I am surprised the chicken isn't rotten away. Since I did split the nugget in half, I think I will leave one piece out on the balcony (lanai) in a semi closed container and see if mold forms. Maybe the oil the McNuggets are fried in preserve it.

Hmmmm.....only time will tell and its told loads considering its been like ten months since I first found the McNugget behind the TV. You have to wonder, the food product was probably created in a factory at an unknown date, frozen, ocean shipped to Honolulu, sat in distribution until sent to the deep freeze at the McDonald's on Beretania until it hit the deep fryer and sat all warm and crispy waiting for my purchase. I could only guess the McNugget birthday was late 2008?

Yet I do wonder, will our digestive systems digest this type of food if nature cannot. I know our digestive track is strong but how strong? Can man outwit our own body in the name of profit?

*1 : food; especially : a suspension or solution of nutrients in a state suitable for absorption
(I learned that word in college--its the first time I used it though!)

No comments: