Friday, August 08, 2008

I got on the tele!




Seemingly at being at many big events in Honolulu, I find myself on tv. Yes, it's a bit gratuitous to show myself on the tele but sometimes I just can't help myself.

Obama visited Honolulu today and AP sent me out to cover the event as a secondary photographer to the staffer who travels with Obama as part of the permanent press corp. I had to arrive at the welcoming reception center at 10am and wait for Obama's arrival which ended up being close to three pm. What a wait. My forearms are sunburned!

You can see what AP along with Reuters put on on Obama's visit at news.yahoo.com. Search for Obama or Hawaii under the news search. You can also search at Google for images of Obama's welcoming event.

I did get a great (relatively speaking) lunch by walking down the beach and found a Samoan type of festival. There were several tents which were selling Samoan barbque and it was pretty tasty but couldn't all they served. For ten dollars, I got a entire leg of BBQ chicken {yum!) along with salted brisket, bananas, turkey tail, chicken long rice, and a pork quisantes type of dish. Way too much food. The salted brisket was odd and tasted like spam but with a beefy taste. The turkey tail was really tasty...a odd mix of dark meat and cartilage. The bananas were not edible. Odd, dry, yet smoky. Not a taste I liked.

Interesting day.

No comments: