Monday, January 25, 2010

a roll of film on Sunday, or was it two...?



After a hard day of community gardening at Foster Botanical, (oregano, basil, jalapenos, and whatnot...) I took off to the beach with the Leica and shot a few rolls just to keep the mind sharp and the eye fresh.

I parked near the Ilikai Hotel* and walked down the sandy way and it didn't take but seconds to find something interesting to put down on film.

The surfer was looking out at the small break out in front of the Hilton as well as waiting for his buddies to come along. I was hoping he'd cross my path but nonetheless, I got a different view of what I initially had imagined.

Sadly, I found myself wishing for my pro body and high resolution...yet the limited resolution adds to the mystery of what I saw and what I didn't or wasn't able to record. The mistakes of film (resolution, silver, development) all equal character. This is what we forget in capturing imagining. I spent so many years in New York working with photographers and never realizing the reason so many looked the same is because there systems were the same...A Mamiya RZ with a 110mm or 140mm lens on Kodak 160 VS filmed pulled to 80 developed at Duggal at such and such temp...blah blah blah!

It all looked the same except for Steve McCurry...

Now, he looked different. His new book, The Unguarded Moment, is simply what I hope to achieve with my life. Alas, his life is photography. For the rest of us, its a bit different. Its not easy to sacrifice EVERYTHING for your work.

His book can be found here.

As I find, sometimes using a different tool will yet a different experience.

SO back to Hawaii...



Walking by the new lagoon at the Hilton, I stumbled upon a well dressed man with two dogs. I couldn't help but to snap one off. He was so interested in having me get his shoes. I am not sure why he had the duds on but he was very happy to pose and the dogs cooperated as well.



I'm not sure why I like this image of this woman at the Halekulani but it struck me as something I wanted to scan.

Anyway, its been about two months since I've wandered the beach. Might go back today.

*The Ilikai Hotel is the spot where Hawaii 5-0 filmed their famous spot with McGarrett on the rooftop. See it here around 16 seconds into the clip. I just realized Jack Lord played the original Felix in James Bond. He was in Dr. No! Book 'em, Jimmy! McGarrett is the BEST! Chee ho!



I think my father has shades like that.

No comments: