Sunday, March 22, 2009

Double take Ziv


I haven't seen these negatives since, well, 1992-1993? I couldn't tell you nor can I really remember. All I remember is this is Ziv Shafir, a guy from my dorm at UT, and I asked him if I could shoot him for an art project. I don't know what the hell we put on his face. Some type of cream that for some reason was green.

The photo was shot on an old Mamiya 645 camera on Kodak VPS film. The image was accidentally double exposed but made for an interesting shot.

Ziv is Israeli and the first Gulf War started when we were in college. I remember how upset he was about not living in Israel and wanting to go back and fight. I doubt he would have only because we were young and idealistic. Perfect for what militaries like to use for cannon fodder. Either way, Ziv was a great guy. He was very nerdy for being a good looking guy. Girls swooned over him.

I was trying to find my inner Herb Ritts before I understood what photography was. I have been looking at old negatives to understand myself a bit better for the future. What I mean is I didn't know what photography was...I hadn't assisted jaded ill tempered photographers, gypped by cheapskates and scammers, not paid by major magazines, played by editors, and well just burned overall.

Its nice to look back at photography when it was a cheap umbrella light, a old film camera, and a green faced guy.

No comments: