Monday, April 20, 2009

Keeping busy when things are down.



So...things are slow. No emails, no phone calls, no well, not much of anything. Its a recession, no credit, no budgets, no images to create for work. It is not nearly as bad as I had a job on Friday, a job tomorrow and a more stuff soon afterwards. Hence, its mainly moaning about very little.

But to keep the days full of things non photo, we've taken to raising a garden on our lanai...balcony to you mainlanders. I surely don't have a green thumb nor does Yukako but its become a bit of fun to play around with plants, pots, and dirt.

The above little bud that cracked through the soil yesterday is the beginning of a papaya tree. I got the seeds at Walmart of all things in the tourist items section. I am not one to really ever go to Walmart as I do feel its a bit of slumming and really buying goods made by sweatshops, etc...but then again, there isn't much sold in American that isn't made by some slumdog somewhere...yets I also feel I am getting to be slummly at times as the phone isn't ringing like it once was. Damn recession.

Anyway, our little papaya sprout looks good and healthy and I look forward to seeing how much it will grow. I don't suspect I will ever allow it to get big enough to get fresh papayas from it as I do think you need to have a male/female to pollinate the plant as well as they do grow upwards of ten feet and beyond, well beyond our little lanai capabilities. But when you got little to think about, a little sprout as such makes the day a little brighter.



Along with our little sprout, we have a potted palm tree of some sorts, a chili plant, a non fruit bearing banana plant, a couple of herbs, etc., a small cactus growing from seeds as well, a weedy looking hibiscus bearing Hawaiian plant, and a new addition of a Mexican lime tree. The guy at Home Depot (they do get a majority of their plants from local sources) said the tree can grow in partial shade so I am very excited to see things grow and mature. My greening thumb awaits patiently.

So hopefully as things grow, flower, et all, I one day might have limes for a cold Corona on the little jungle garden.

1 comment:

Ros said...

You look like you have a pretty good green thumb to me!