Monday, February 09, 2009

Pro Bowl 2009


Dallas Cowboys Jay Ratliff

I'm not a big American football fan these days but will watch college ball as well as the big events like playoffs and superbowls when necessary. I do shoot lots of UH games as well as the occasional Pro Bowl--not that its gonna be here anymore--but I have shot professional football.

The amazing thing about many of the pros is there absolute size and power some of these men have. This Cowboy was a very large man. I couldn't imagine this guy running full speed at me with hatred in his eyes. It would be quiet the sight.

Sadly, the Pro Bowl is leaving the Islands.

Why? A number of reasons...I can't really say but can speculate the age and condition of the ridiculous Aloha Stadium, distance of Hawaii from the mainland, and the waning fan base of this exhibition game.

During this recent game, the players seemed more interested in the vacation that actually playing a real game. At the end, most of the plays seemed soft there was no real drive to win. But what are these wealthy players really playing for? I remember they used to have skills competitions in the old days where quarterbacks had to test their accuracy, linemen competed to see how much they could lift, etc...

To me, it was a hot, lackluster event. I hate to see it go as Hawaii is loosing many of their professional sports events but it seems to me the government isn't doing enough to ensure Hawaii stays a premiere state and a location to sell to the world. Too much corruption, stupidity, and poor planning are really tearing this state apart. If the state could just think a head and really do something for the future, Hawaii could possibly live up to its wonderful reputation. I mean, perfect weather doesn't make up for ignorance.

No comments: