Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chinatown parade



Did some scanning last night and wanted to share some images from a parade in Chinatown on Saturday. I found the parade to be of standard quality but saw the audience as a different character. Interesting to view. Interesting to snap. People oddly look at me as if I am a real photographer as I am not using a typical digital camera. They don't actually know what to expect.

The girl above just struck me. The man standing behind lined up after I looked at the film. Didn't notice him but he ads a dimension to the image.

I shot with my 50mm 1.4 lens and kinda feel its a bit cramped in the viewfinder. Not wide enough. However, the more I keep it on the M6, the more I enjoy seeing a few in a "normal" setting. My version seems to lack super sharp focus but it gives a nice feel to things. I've never shot with other versions but am happy with what I have.

With that said, I did actually crop the image in the shot as I felt there was way too much stuff around. The crop does well in my opinion. I usually like to showcase my film images full frame. Crops do help at times.



I rattled off half the roll of film until the kids faces came around. They were actually staring at a fat Ronald McDonald. Funny, he wasn't the usual slim guy as McD would like us to believe he is. The family was inside a restaurant and the parents were just as excited as the kids.



I didn't notice the girl staring or the older woman in the corner of the frame. I have a tough time learning to focus a rangefinder and I am finding I am loosing so many shots as I am fumbling with a camera I don't use as much as I should. Rangefinder shooting takes a skill. And within that skill, it takes a different eye. Its absolutely everything a digital camera is not. Thinking about composition, focus point, exposure, and feel all come into play. Once again, subconscious took this image. I am not to impressed but find all the elements falling into place.



The dog, which I think was a corgi Jack Russell mix, was shaking away seemingly started by the drums, dancing, and noise. Might he be afraid of his owners toes?

2 comments:

Ros said...

The parents in that second shot look WAY more excited than the kids! Too funny...

txhawaii said...

the kids were curious...more so than excited.